Friday, May 3, 2013

Can't Live Without...


Recently my favorite game broke.  I came to realize just how addicting playing your favorite game everyday can be.  It drove me up the wall that I couldn't pop my disc in and play it.  I tried playing other games, games that I also like but it's just not the same as playing the game you're jonesin' to play.   To make things worse my friends that were playing my favorite game were sending me invites which I couldn't accept.

The definition of addiction
1
: the quality or state of being addicted
2
: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal
 
I'm not saying gaming addiction is the same as drug or alcohol addiction, but there are some definite symptoms of  withdrawal that I've been experiencing: irritability, restlessness, anxiety & depression.  On the other hand, when I have the satisfaction of playing my favorite game it relieves anxiety, depression and improves my mood.  There's a rush when you pull off the perfect attack.  It's fun and exciting and makes me feel happy overall.
 
However, this could also be a bad thing if someone relies solely on games to make them happy.  It could conceivably get to the point where nothing makes a person happy except playing video games.  Which would be bad since there's so much life has to offer.  Relationships with significant others, friends & family suffer when this happens.  Like with everything else in life having a happy medium is essential.

1 comment:

  1. tell me about it, my PC crashed last week, couldn't play my papa's freezeria for 2 days, was about to go crazy lol

    ReplyDelete