Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Difference Between Competition & Bullying



You know that moment when playing multi-player online and everything is just for fun then someone does or says something that triggers your competitive side.  Suddenly you are fiercly determined to do anything and everything to win using everything in your arsenal including trolling and glitching.  Recently I was in a game and this happened and suddenly I turned into a bossy bitch screaming profanity and directions to everyone in my team flinging insults left and right to the opposite team and to my own team.

My head was pounding as I made the most of every attack but I looked around and realized the rest of my team was still just playing for fun.  I was the only one attacking with such vengence I mentally assessed myself, my head hurt horribly, I was very angry at the opposite team and my team, and I had become a total bitch.  I realized these were all either my friends or friends of friends this should be fun but it wasn't anymore.  I play purely for fun so when I realize I'm not having fun anymore I quit and do something else.  Don't get me wrong I do have fun being competitive but somewhere in there is a line between competition and rage.

Some players try intentionally to push other players over the edge.  They revel in causing misery to others.  For the most part I don't let people like this bother me but I'd like to know why they enjoy ruining other people's fun?  Is it that the game itself is no longer fun?  Is it that they enjoy causing others misery?  I think this could be an indicator of society as a whole.  Kids in school bully other kids.  Adults at work bully coworkers.  Even in everyday life I see customers being nasty to employees just because they can and there is nothing the employee can say or do back.

I think we should be asking ourselves what the consequences are for intentionally causing other people misery.

4 comments:

  1. Personally I think a lot of people use games to release anger and frustration. Bottom line of the game is your killing very human like avatars. This has to do something for your brain. Also, I know I have been at that point where I get ticked off and I just go on a rampage but some of my best score streaks came out of those times LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about people using games to release their emotions. I know when I was frustrated or angry at the people I used to work with I'd come home and slaughter zombies, aliens, and people thinking about what I really wanted to say to the women at work who were making my life hell.

      Delete
  2. I only play on line with my Xbox, but what I did...since I have been the victem of and ranted myself. I went into settings and have my chat set for "friends only", only people I can forgive and will forgive me hear anything I say. I don't play that much either but it has helped keep the fun in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! That is a fantastic idea I didn't know you could do that!

      Delete